HOW TO: What is a broadcast? How do I publish one?

A broadcast is textual or numerical data which is in turn used as the subject of bets. A series of broadcasts is called a ‘feed’. Someone who publishes a feed is called a ‘feed-operator’.

There are two types of bets, Contracts for Difference ([font=courier]BearCFD/BullCFD[/font]) and [font=courier]Equal/NotEqual [/font]bets.

If Bob wants to publish the price of gold, for example

broadcast --from=BOBS_ADDRESS --text="'The price of gold in USD.'" --value=1260 --fee-multiplier=.01

[font=courier]fee-multiplier[/font] is the percentage of the bet that goes to the feed-operator, thus in this case %1.

The command above would be a broadcast upon which users could create CFDs. An example of a  broadcast upon which people could users could make an Equal/NotEqual bet is:

broadcast --from=BOBS_ADDRESS --text="'The price of gold in USD. 1=inc 2=dec'" --value=2 --fee-multiplier=.01

I’m trying to make a real world system that uses the blockchain to send out a request for assistance. Like let’s say I have a flat tire and I need someone to come and fix it for me. Would that be better as a broadcast or an order?

[quote author=blackbeard link=topic=4.msg542#msg542 date=1392499585]
I’m trying to make a real world system that uses the blockchain to send out a request for assistance. Like let’s say I have a flat tire and I need someone to come and fix it for me. Would that be better as a broadcast or an order?
[/quote]

Great question! In my opinion, that would be better as a broadcast. The broadcast may be something like:

broadcast --source=BLACKBEARDS_ADDRESS --text="HELP! FLAT TIRE! READ MORE HERE: gotaflat.com" --value= --fee-multiplier=0"

With an order, you would first have to create an asset (FLAT), provide a description (same as broacast, perhaps) , and then sell that asset on the distributed exchange. It’s more work and also a contrived use.

To make sure that your broacast cannot decide a bet, you must keep value empty.