Only 20 addresses show up in my counterparty wallet

I tried again with the counterparty address 14mfXiP6bY28HGH7HSRUrnjURTwhSZ6zse, and again it only sent one asset, this time the EARLY token and the next token failed and none of the other assets were transferred. At least I am able to read the Early forum again. That was the one I was most concerned with.

If I’m not mistaken, this tool will ‘recover’ lost wallets: Explore Decentralized Web

Thanks. I haven’t lost the wallet. I have the private key to this wallet which was generated by counterwallet, the problem was that this counterwallet address is no longer visible in my counterwallet client. The other issue is when I attempt to import my assets from this counterwallet address to another counterwallet address it only does one at a time then fails. I have 7 more assets to import and it is a bit of a headache to do this one at a time.

So, the team is hashing this out right now. It’s not a bug per-se, but it’s very confusing. If you want to be able to submit (say) 10 transactions per block, you have to have 10 UTXO’s in your wallet. Send $0.20 in bitcoin from a bitcoin app (mycelium/airbitz/blockchain.info) to your Counterparty pubilc address 10 times, and thereafter you can send up to 11 transactions per block. It’s 11 in this case because we have one UTXO from your first deposit.

This is a very interesting discovery. Has it always been that way or is this thread bringing this to light?

So to clarify, are you saying that in order to move 10 assets from one counterwallet address to another in one transaction there must first be 10 UTXO’s in my wallet? Meaning 10 deposits from an non counterwallet address?

So I sent 4 more 20cent deposits via kryptokit, waited for the transactions to be confirmed then tried again to swipe. This time the transaction failed right away and none of the assets were transferred. I assumed a total of 5 deposits would have given me the ability to transfer 5 assets in one transaction. So something else seems to be screwing up.

Its transacting with itself again. 1LA1fDA6AZDyPwXWtBZk8s2oKY3fgn4Nrq

I tried again, and this time only one transaction went through.

Hmm, if I’m reading this right, i’m only seeing one UTXO on that address: https://blockchain.info/unspent?active=1LA1fDA6AZDyPwXWtBZk8s2oKY3fgn4Nrq&format=html

20 is the maximum set in Counterwallet, but you can always access all your addresses regardless. Just remember you need to write down or otherwise safely store your Counterwallet pass phrase and not a private key that belongs to any given address from it (you can do that as well, but it’s not necessary because you can generate all private key by using the pass phrase).

About using Counterwallet Helper. Set search-depth to 23, in your case.

If you hate videos:

If you cannot display more than 20 addresses in your CW wallet, you can always create another wallet and sweep your balances from other addresses to it, but it’s merely a workaround - this should be fixed in Counterwallet and I think there’s a bug report for that (that 20 addresses are pre-created and displayed instead of just a few, unless you deliberately created 20 addresses manually).
If you sweep from a new wallet, you’d have to pay some transaction fee for each sweep.

Alternatively you can also use https://blockscan.com/tool_generatekey

It defaults to 3 addresses, but you can change the number of addresses count option to “23” and it will show all 23 addresses and the related private keys. You can then sweep anything above address “20” to any one of the other addresses so that you can continue using CW in its default mode

@mtbitcoin - is the order in which addresses get created is deterministic?
I seem to remember when I was using Counterparty Helper I would sometimes have to create more addresses.

It doesn’t change the fact that all belonging addresses and private keys can be reproduced, but I am just wondering if you know.

Yes, there is a fixed order. Assuming the same Derivation path for the keys, this means for example address No #5 will always be 5th address in line.

1 Like

Here’s a good graphic from the BIP32 wiki

The variable k in the Addresses column is an increasing sequence of integers, each one representing a new public/private key pair (labeled as external and internal on the graphic). The specific format used by Counterwallet (and XCP Wallet for Chrome which is why they are compatible) to generate private keys is:

m/0’/0/k

k is 0, 1, 2, 3, … (since the sequence starts with 0 the 23rd address is actually k=22)

If there is only one UTXO then that must mean no more where created when I made 4 more deposits which means UTXO’s are not what I thought they were. Please explain how I should go about creating more UTXOs.

Thank you for posting the how to use counterwallet helper video. I do have the passphrase and the keys from the counterwallet. The issue was that all for a time there were 40 addresses on my counterwallet and I chose wallet #23 because I liked the first few characters (like a vanity address). After sending assets to that address the counterwallet hid all addresses beyond 20. Nothing is lost… just hidden.

How much progress have you made on resolving this issue? I am caught up with the above solutions which seem like they would work, but can you still not access?

I haven’t had time to try some of the answers suggested. I was able to move assets one at time and that was good enough for now. There are some other quirky issues with the counterwallet including not being able to scroll down the page sometimes.