CIP Proposal - Three Letter Asset Names

Thanks for bringing your perspective as an asset owner. I think what stands out, and should be made clear to everyone, is that owning asset names has not been a lucrative business. (Please keep that in mind when your “gut” is telling you someone is going to spend millions to register them all.)

That said, it is my view that you are essentially concerned with having your investment diluted. Luckily, you would have the same opportunity to register three letter asset names as anyone else.

This is something that happens in rounds of investing all the time. If you are at risk of being diluted, you can re-invest at the same terms of the new round of investment.

IMO - It would not make sense to add code to Counterparty that gives preferential treatment or special permissions. The proposal as it stands is very minimal coding and would be a land rush equally available to anyone interested.

But to your concern, I think three letter asset names could be an opportunity to reinvigorate use through a new round of speculative investment where some portion of that speculative investment turns into productive use. Where, ideally, a rising tide floats all boats.

New speculators who learn about Counterparty through three letter asset name land rush may also see the value in other names too.

—————

I have a proposal in the idea phase that may interest you where it would be possible to list asset name ownership for sale similar to, but separate from, the dex. Like a decentralized aftermarket.

I think there are many asset owners who would be interested in listing their assets for sale. I know for myself I could sell asset names for less than the current 0.5 XCP registration fee and make a profit because of the shift in USD market prices.